Wednesday, November 23, 2011

In the End: A Letter

I was thinking about everything we talked about and have some final thoughts on the matter. The vitriol we feel toward the bankers and the lawyers (modern day sophists) who create the net that catches men is just, as they contrive laws in their favor at the expense of the mass. But, when I thought about it in terms of what was written in the gospels, relating it to our present time, what came out to me was Matthew, the tax collector. He was despised and hated because the tax collectors exacted more than what was necessary, creating a tremendous burden on families and individuals. Of course the technocratic has usurped the theocratic state, but the essence of our times have a similar spirit. People were upset because Jesus brought Matthew under his grace, for how can there be forgiveness when justice must be satisfied? Does forgivness trump justice?

What came to mind was my attitude and demeanor, and I realized that a demanding justice will always be inherently violent and the violence consumes itself like the ouroboros; in that it necessitates itself for its own consumption. The poison of the serpent is this: It is its own consumption. The ultimate consumption. Regardless, there is still the paradox: how can forgiveness and justice be present in the same space? Thoughts churned and I started to think that maybe my perception about the relationship between justice and forgivness is skewed. We do not struggle against a 'system' per se, but against social constructions designed by men who lack love in themselves. Their crimes are not against us, they are against themselves. They have killed love in themselves, and this is the tragedy because they were once children, filled with awe and wonder, but over time, in a thousand different ways they have slaughtered the love in their hearts and they do not possess peace. Their crime is twofold in that their system strangles the love in ourselves and robs of us peace as well. My anger and frustration melted into pity. I realized that justice, though not necessarily always seen, is being exacted and my compassion for the child-men who have pierced their hearts was also present. Justice and forgiveness co-exist, given the proper context.

This was obviously not on my mind earlier today and am grieved that I got swept away in a demanding justice and lost the proper perspective. I am sorry that I got as upset with you as I did. It is shameful and wrong. You are my mother, who brought me into this world through your love and sustain me to this day by it as well. I broke the law, which is love, and did not honor you today. But, it is a reminder that I must hold steadfast and not let the fleeting vapor, this passing world, strangle my love. I know it is forgiven, but I wanted to let you know the other things that go on in my mind, positive things.  Speaking of thoughts coming to mind, just now, while writing this sentence James 1:2-4 popped up in my head:

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

I feel I can say that I am now counting this situation for joy. Love has won the day.

Also, while I was considering all these things, these songs came on my pandora:



I hadn't heard them before, but thought it was perfect timing!




With much love,

You Son

No comments:

Post a Comment