Monday, July 18, 2011

Revealing Heaven: A Book Review of Sorts



Something has been occurring to me over the past 7 months where a series of patterns and events have coalesced into one theme; God is speaking about his home and our future lives. I'm not sure if this is your experience, perhaps this could be one link in the chain of events leading down a similar path, but I have been guided overwhelmingly to works about Heaven. It started back in January when I heard a broadcast on Haven Today with Todd Burpbo, who had recently published a book about his son's experience in Heaven: Heaven is for Real. I went out and bought the book the same day.

Shortly after I stumbled across another book; Nine Days in Heaven. It is a re-write of a book published in 1848 where Marietta Davis experienced an amazing vision of heaven. There was much more detail about Heaven than in young Burpbo's account and her vision on the spiritual events that took place after the death of Christ is the most spectacular I have ever read. After reading that book I then came across another work, another and then another. What I started to notice is that each book revealed similar details. Instead of contradicting each other they built on each other, like harmonic layers, giving me a multi-dimensional picture of what Heaven is going to be like. Each book is annotated with scripture to support the vision as authentic, meaning that it does not deviate from the inspired Word. None of this proves the works are inspired of God, or that I was being led by God to them. I concede, I have no concrete proof to show this was the case. What I can tell you is that there was something more going on inside my soul while reading these books. It was the soulish response that piqued my interest. While reading them my soul was refreshed, encouraged and inspired. Many of the books are lined with my tears. It provoked intense longing and hope, and invigorated my works in the world. For example, I notice that I give generously and spontaneously with more joy, and when I perceive a wrong I pray to God and declare I forgive that person. In other words, these books in conjunction with scripture and daily teaching quickened my soul and had real world effect.

But why is this happening now? From my experience, works dealing with Heaven are usually in the realm of the New Age and the message varies from author to author, giving only a broad scope admonishment to 'love more' from a vague light. Christians by nature tend to shun these kind of works, but more and more of these books are coming from evangelical Christians. And in some cases they have been having these experiences for several decades and just now told by the Spirit to publish them. The fact is that increasing numbers of Christians have been having this experience over a span of 160 years and what they recall independently corroborates actual places in heaven and does not deviate from the main message; Heaven is real, it's better than you can ever imagine, God loves you more than you can ever know and Jesus is the way to get there!

While I have read many books on the subject of Heaven that have profound spiritual depth, there is one book that stands out among them: Revealing Heaven by Kat Kerr. For starters, it's the only book I have read that actually comes with pictures of what she saw, but it also provided a reason for why works on Heaven from Christian sources are flooding the world:

"This is a glimpse into Eternity! Prepare to read. Prepare to be forever changed. Prepare people of Earth, for in the year 2007, God is REVEALING HEAVEN!"

I can certainly testify to this fact. Unlike the other books, Revealing Heaven also comes with third party accounts of the people who were touched in tangible ways by her visitations to Heaven. How is this any different than someone like John Edward's Crossing Over, who also provides 'proofs' of his contact with the dead? For starters, these people aren't dead and she makes it clear that she did not have contact with them, but was allowed to observe. Another distinguishing factor is that the people still on this earth were not aware that Kat existed. They are not people in an audience seeking her out, nor is the evidence merely anecdotal; meaning she related vague events that happened in the past. She is merely relating what she observed about the loved one in Heaven, and the observations correlated to reality. In one case, there is an actual letter written by a young girl who moved on that corroborates Kat's visitation a decade before the person's passing.  That's on a level John Edwards could only dream of reaching. That's only something the Lord of space and time can orchestrate. However, it's not just the evidence that points to the validity of her account that I found impactful. Outside of the more concrete aspects of the book, it also helps illuminate who God is, how much he loves us and how much FUN heaven is going to be! This is by far the most important aspect that makes Kat's book stand apart from the others. It was just plain FUN to read and it treads where other books won't go; getting into depth about the structures of Heaven like the mansions, centers of learning, movie houses and even amusement parks.

I consider myself a spiritual person who loves God. Imperfect, to be sure, but earnest in my desire and appreciation for the Gift of the Blood of the Lamb. I can only speak to my own experience, but sometimes I get so caught up in my pursuit of spiritual knowledge that I sometimes become severe, and unfortunately assume that as the only characteristic of God's personality. And while it is important to study so as to not be deceived and consider the content with sound counsel, I had hesitation accepting that there might be spiritual desserts too. And the book truly is a treat. I am glad that Heaven has roller coasters, movies theaters, homes, gardens of light, and best of all access to the throne room of God from anywhere in Heaven by riding the visible light of worship! Wow! (Ever since I was little I always wanted to put color to sound as it was being produced - I now know that thought was inspired by Heaven.)

I don't just like it because I want my ears tickled and want something that is familiar, rather, it speaks to the tremendous love God has for us in that he does not denigrate our creations, the things that we as people LOVE to do, but has taken what we have made (even in a fallen state) and put those things into Glory. God, through Kat, has taken my conception of him to a higher level than I could have imagined. I suddenly understood that the problem of my tendency to reject something that did not fit my conception of 'holy' was my lack of understanding the depth of God's love and respect he has for his children and the multitude of ways he communicates it. It also made me revisit verses and consider them within a new context:

Mark 10:15: Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” (I don't know about you, but I loved going to Disneyland as a child, so personally, I look forward to the amusement park)


1 Corinthians 1:25: For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. (An amusement park in heaven was definitely a foolish idea, but given my new understanding about the nature of God, it is wiser than I could have imagined - and I am glad his ways are higher. My Heaven would have been boring!)

Books that are non-descript, such as Heaven is for Real and the most recent Flight to Heaven, are very comfortable. They are mainly about the story of how they had their experience and then how it affected their life afterward. Heaven is only mentioned briefly and rather vaguely.There is nothing about these books that moves anybody outside of their comfort zone, except that it appeals directly to the saving power of Jesus and emphasizes our need for him. However, I believe all these books are meant to reach the people who are deceived by the new age, or begin to open Christians mind to the possibility that God is allowing Heaven to be revealed. Paul states in 2 Corinthians 12:2-4:

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows— and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter."

Could it be that Paul lived in a time when there were no words available to describe the world of Heaven and that is why no man could utter it? The Whorf Hypothesis does state that "The principle of linguistic relativity holds that the structure of a language affects the ways in which its speakers are able to conceptualize their world". We live in an age where we have words that help conceptualize the world of Heaven; we are aware of relativity, multiple dimensions, plasma, et cetera.  Aside from having the necessary scientific lexicon readily available to the layperson, I secretly wonder if Heaven is being revealed at this time because the end of the age is close and God is letting these things out now to help revitalize our hearts and remind us that no matter what the New World Order is offering, it cannot compare to the world that Christ, through his blood, opened to us. Or maybe the book is not only for us, maybe it is for those who go through the tribulation. Could it be these books will give the end times believer the courage to not take the mark and lose their heads? I don't know and I'm not a prophet, it's just an interesting thought.

Revealing Heaven is bold, simple, spiritually and scripturally sound and grand in scope. It will challenge the cerebral Christian and those who cling closely to the more worldly application of scripture. However, the reader will have to make up their own mind if they believe her or not. I for one, do. Revealing Heaven does not have a broad appeal (yet), but it will be there when people are ready to peek behind the curtain. If you are curious, please visit Kat Kerr's website and order the book. You will not regret it. I also urge you to buy a CD as well. Hearing the honesty in her voice will assuage any doubts you may have about her and buying the books and CDs goes directly to her ministry, which is a wonderful and specific vision. Also, please remember to pray for Kat. As she gains in popularity there will be increasing verbal and spiritual violence against her that will come from the more dogmatic and self-assured Christians. I can tell you, it is undeserved. I applaude her courage and look foward to the coming installments.

Peace and Blessings, Always!

PS - I do not know Kat, anyone in her family or friends. I have no association with her or her ministry, and am not receiving any payment for the endoresment.

No comments:

Post a Comment